Who and What is Discover Japan?
We are an organization that provides opportunities for adventure, education, discovery and fun in, and around, the countryside of Japan. Let us help you explore the countryside and culture of this beautiful country through educational, physical and fun activities and programs at our outdoor education facility in Chikura, Chiba, just two hours south of Tokyo.
Learn more about our residential summer camp program for elementary and middle school children. Find out how easy it is to get out of the city for that "getaway weekend" you've been talking about. Bring your family or group (large or small). Use our Trek mountain bicycles, or hike, and discover the beauty that is the countryside of Japan. Surf, body board or just relax on the beach at Minami Chikura, Setohama, Chitose, Wada, Nemoto or Heisaura.
Design a program for your group or ask us to help design a program to suit your needs and objectives. Some of the programs and activities we have put together include:
- marine science weekends for children
- outdoor education activities for children and adults of all ages
- English language "camps" and school outings
- "writing workshops" for elementary students
- residential summer camps
- sayonara and graduation parties
- tennis weekends for goups of families
- sports training weekends for athletic groups (tennis, basketball, etc.)
- one-day bicycle adventures around the local Minami Boso area
- longer bicycle trips to other areas in Japan (Noto Peninsula, Sado Island, Kyushu, Shikoku, and more)
Groups we have hosted include:
- boy scouts and girl scouts of all ages
- company groups on team-building retreats
- groups of children and young adults from international schools, Japanese schools, and universities
- families from the international and Japanese communities
- language schools hosting mini-ESL camps and more
- middle and high school athletic teams
- church groups
- yoga workshops
- and much more
Our programs are organized and directed by David Green, long time elementary and middle school teacher, program coordinator, and coach at Nishimachi International School; Brad Bennett, international school teacher, outdoor educator, snow board instructor and more; and Yoshiko Kimura, long serving elementary school teacher at St. Mary's International School and co-founder of Nanbo Discovery Camp. We have been involved in outdoor education in Japan since 1977, organizing and running bicycle trips, ski/board adventures, summer camps, and other outdoor education activities for children and adults. All of our adult counselors are highly certified and experienced educators with extensive outdoor leadership training.